In a Nutshell
As a UX professional, my passion is to observe and understand human behaviour in order to help organisations solve complex problems, and develop better products and services for their users.
As a leader, I am driven to inspire the people I work with to be the best they can be. I manage the momentum and direction of the team while nurturing the individual objectives of direct reports.
My work experience gives me both a broad and deep understanding of the digital development cycle, from initial discovery to implementation and then onto continuous improvement.
Skill set includes
Strategic leadership, coaching, mentoring, innovation, customer journey mapping, concepting, persona development, wireframing, workshopping, user research, data analysis, agile and lean working, roadmapping, objective setting, recruitment, stakeholder management, excellent communication and presentation skills.
Digital Strategy Lead
Citizens Advice | January 2017 – present
As digital strategy lead I am responsible for the strategy and innovation within the digital department, this includes the line management of data science, agile delivery and the leadership of multidisciplinary teams. I harness resources from around the organisation to help solve problems, and develop digital products that fulfil genuine user needs. I ensure the vision and objectives of the team are aligned with the organisational objectives and that we deliver effectively against these.
I have been a key figure in leading the digital transformation at Citizens Advice, and have successfully improved our delivery model and our ways of working. I introduced software that made a marked improvement on team efficiency. As a champion for innovation, I successfully influenced the executive team and trustee board to sign off the creation of an innovation lab.
Some of my work at Citizens Advice is detailed below:
- Conceived of and developed a prioritisation tool that has been adopted by GDS
- Worked on search improvements
- Organised quarterly firebreak sprints to encourage innovation
- Developed a comprehensive feedback strategy
- Led on all digital content and tools for the energy sector advice areas
Some core duties include:
- Providing strategic leadership and management
- Continually developing and improving our digital products and services
- Organising and facilitating workshops
- Data analysis and user research
- Implementing and monitoring processes and governance
- Roadmapping and prioritising work
- Representing the organisation externally
- Leading innovation of new products and services
- Stakeholder management
- Recruitment, resourcing and budgeting
Head of User Experience
Aqueduct Advertising & Design | February 2016 to December 2016
As Head of UX it was my responsibility to lead, develop and champion the UX proposition for Aqueduct and its clients (including Team GB, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, Queens Park Rangers, Trafalgar, and Visa). I led a team of UX designers and researchers who helped me to inspire the wider business to embrace user focussed product development.
I ensured goals and metrics were defined at the beginning of a project so that research and testing could be planned accordingly and expectations could be accurately set. Working closely with stakeholders, I led workshops and set timeframes for key deliverables. I was instrumental in the agency’s securing of Tottenham Hotspur as a client, and led a major redesign of Queens Park Rangers club website.
Some core duties included:
- Defining the vision and purpose of the UX team
- Heuristic evaluations to assess usability
- Developing research and testing plans
- Conducting and analysing usability tests
- Presenting recommendations to team members, management & clients
- Developing UX artefacts such as user flows, personas, empathy maps, mental models
- Pitching to clients
Lead User Experience Designer
TI Media (formerly Time Inc UK and IPC Media) | Jan 2014 to Jan 2016
I was pivotal in establishing the user experience discipline at TI Media, an international publisher of online magazines including Wallpaper, and NME, Uncut and Woman&Home. I investigated solutions to user experience issues, and ensured a user centered approach was always on the table where it had been previously lacking. This involved changing and iterating the development process to include user experience principles, and supporting the team through these changes.
- I worked closely with members of the design and development teams to translate concepts into working immersive prototypes that illustrated future directions.
- I iterated constantly on interactions and subtle details to deliver the best experience for the user.
- I collaborated with product managers on user-testing new concepts and assisted in engineering final implementations where appropriate.
- I used various methods for prototyping dependant on the required fidelity: these included paper, whiteboard, Axure and code.
- I introduced user testing to the development process
Senior Front End & User Experience Developer
TI Media (formerly Time Inc UK and IPC Media) | Dec 2012 – Dec 2013
As Senior Front End Developer I provided leadership & guidance for the development team on best practices, new technologies and user experience principles. I ran a monthly developer forum, finding speakers on relevant and interesting subjects to encourage lively debate and enthusiasm for the discipline. I pushed for, and worked on the rebuild of the TI Media mobile sites, prototyping possible interface solutions and experimenting with various device interactions. The resulting project was a huge success with increased revenue and increased pageviews.
Front End Developer and Scrum Master
TI Media (formerly Time Inc UK and IPC Media) | Aug 2010 – Dec 2012
As a Front End Developer, I worked on high profile, large scale websites. Working to an agile methodology, I also undertook the role of Scrum Master, ensuring that the sprint ran smoothly without impediments. I spent a lot of time focussed on optimising frontend performance, refactoring, spriting, ensuring script load times have as little impact on the perceived page load time as possible. I measured the impact of site changes to traffic changes in order to help guide the team towards the best solution for each brand, and have been involved in A/B testing. I had excellent business relationship with the site editors and publishing directors. It was my role to communicate issues to them, to keep them up to date with development progress, and to respond early to their requests with prototypes and feedback.
User Experience Developer
Snow Valley (has since been acquired by Micros) | Oct 2009 – Aug 2010
The UX team was focussed on creating the easiest and most enjoyable ecommerce journey to improve conversions. We produced retail sites for Liverpool Football Club, Clarkes, Astley Clarke, Majestic Wine, and Punch Taverns among others. As a UX developer I worked on concepting, prototyping, wireframing, and the frontend codebase.
The Art Newspaper | Nov 2007 – Oct 2009
Starting as Office Manager I was trained to manage the website and then took courses in HTML and CSS. I worked on a redesign & build of the old site, bringing it up to date from a table based layout. I dealt with various third parties for subscriptions, digital editions, and their online TV channel.
Certified Scrum Product Owner | The Scrum Alliance (2018)
UX Certification | Nielsen Norman Group (2017)
- UX Basic Training
- Complex Applications and Websites
- Information Architecture: Structure
- Information Architecture: Navigation
- The Human Mind and Usability
- Persuasive Web Design
- Wireframing and Prototyping
MA in Aesthetics & Art Theory | Middlesex University | 2003 – 2004
BA in Sculpture | University of the Arts London | 2000 – 2003
BTEC National Diploma in Fine Art | Yorkshire Coast College | 1999 – 2000